Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 05:59:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joker@avangard.master.nsk.su (Serge Goncharov)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pioneer DRM 604X CD ROM changer under FreeBSD 2.0.0-SNAP950322

Serge Goncharov writes:

> 	I have Pioneer DRM-604x drive. This is SCSI-2 CDROM changer (jukebox)
> for 6 CDs. It represents itself as SCSI ID 5 (for example) and 6 LUNs within
> it. It can be mounted as 6 different CDs and changer substitute corresponding
> disk at access query.
> 	That SCSI device was successfully configured and works  under
> FreeBSD 1.1.5 by recompiling kernel with follow lines in config file:
>
> 	device	cd0
> 	device	uk0
>
> and devices /dev/cd[0-5] was made. All works fine, all LUNs are recognized,
> probed and configured during boot. No problem.
>
>   Otherwise in SNAP950322. After adding
> 	device	cd0
> in config file, system recognize only one (first) CD, which have LUN=0.
> Seems to be only first (0) LUN are probed by default, and result of
> "scsi -f /dev/cd0a -p" command to reprobe whole device (all LUNs) is:
>
> "0:inappropriate ioctl for device: SCIOCADDR"
> "...."
> "6:inappropriate ioctl for device: SCIOCADDR"

The cd device is rejecting this SCIOCADDR request to "pretend" it is a
different device;  I think cd0c might accept it.

> Looking through the code, I've found and add
>
> 	options	NEW_SCSICONF
>
> in config. Now  system probe _all_ CD LUNs and I can mount its,

Apparently OLD_SCSICONF is broken, since there is a match in there for
your device saying to probe more luns.

> but system dumps to core randomizely at "bio" (suppose, DMA operations)  when
> I tries to execute some "ls -lR /cd's_mountpoint/cd[0-5]& ; du / &" processes.

You mean it panics, not core dumps, right?  And the stack backtrace is
always different?

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936