Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:41:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI / CAM error or warning output?

In article <36287AC1.3F0C0D9C@tdx.co.uk> you wrote:
> ahc2 is a 2940UW, with 3 x Quantum drives on it.

Funny.  They look very much like Seagate drives to me.

> First 2 are un-terminated,
> third is using onboard active termination, controller is set to terminate high
> & low bits. Cable is a nice Adaptec cable (so _please_ don't tell me it's
> termination <G>)...

This is a nice Adaptec cable *without* a built in terminator, right?

> This happens when the drives are 'busy' (but not totally thrashed)...

Does it only happen before the tag count is reduced, or does it happen
regardless of how man, "tagged openings now X" messages you see for the
offending target?

It looks like, at least for this particular rev of the firmware on these
drives, the drives continue to take in transactions above and beyond
their internal tag limit, hang up probably blocking on a resource shortage,
then do not properly clean up all pending transactions when we whap them
with a Bus Device Reset Message.  The Adaptec driver then starts seeing
transactions returned by the device that are no longer pending (they should
have been killed by the BDR) and complains.

You should look to see if there is later firmware available for this
drive.

--
Justin