Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 98 09:17:12 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0 and 2.2-Stable coexistence on the same disk ?

Hello,

I was a user of -Stable until very recently, when I decided to try 3.0-R.

I've had a brilliant idea of cutting my HD in 3 partitions : M$ (wd0s1),
2.2-Stable (wd0s2) and one partition for 3.0. (wd0s3)

with the 2.2-Stable Sysinstall, I've created the 3rd partition and sliced
it to mimick the existing 2.2-Stable one (my first intention was to clone
the -Stable partition and the make the -Stable to 3-0 upgrade via
cvsup/"make world").

Then I've lost everything : booteasy can't boot from the -Stable
partition (F2 and F3 point to the empty 3.0 partition ....).

I've installed a fresh 3.0-R in the third partition (directly from the
'Net : a fast access and a boot diskette and off you go :-)) )

I'm wondering how I can recover files from the (I hope still untouched)
-Stable partition. For the moment wd0s2 has a "dos" tag (!=165) will I
recrash everything if I tag it as a FreeBSD partition ?

	AtDhVaAnNkCsE

	TfH

PS : why was the doscmd binary not installed on the 3.0-R ? (I have found
the source, however)