Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:43:27 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   RE: OT: anyone been crazy enough to mirror wikipedia?

If the crash comes and you don't have 4 - 5 years of experience
running a garden on your land, plus your own well, your gonna starve.

Veggies are very particular as to the kind of soil they like, and the
light and water they get.  And it takes several years of trying different
ones to figure out the ones that do best in your soil.  And most modern
veggies are hybrids  and the seed is genetically engineered, and patented.
Many varieties are, in fact, sterile.  Many others require irrigation to
produce sizable yields.

To put in a "heritage" garden that will produce given the normally
occurring rainfall in your area takes someone with many years of
experience in your area growing gardens.  By the time you would
be able to get one going from info in wikipedia, you would have
died of starvation.

Ted