Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:42:43 +0200
From:      Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        gnemmi@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Frets on Fire from ports (short and sweet)

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:15:23PM -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 16:07:48 Jona Joachim wrote:
> > On 2008-06-19, Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > in short: has anybody been able to get it working from ports?
> > >
> > > [..snip..]
> > If you try to build glewpy it tells you something about pyrex not
> > generating the right code. I don't know if that problem actually comes from
> > pyrex or from glewpy.

If you use an old version of pyrex the port does seem to compile (I used the
tag RELEASE_6_0_0, pyrex 0.7.4).

A quick look at the Pyrex ChangeLog[1] reveals:

"   0.8

- INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: The type object of an external extension
type is now imported at run time using the Python import
mechanism. To make this possible, an 'extern' extension type
declaration must DECLARE THE MODULE from which the extension
type originates. See the new version of the "Extension Types"
documentation for details.

This change was made to eliminate the need for Pyrex to be
told the C name of the type object, or for the Pyrex module
to be linked against the object code providing the type object.

You will have to update any existing external extension type
declarations that you are using. I'm sorry about that, but it
was too hard to support both the old and new ways."

I'm not familiar with pyrex, so I'm not sure if this is the culprit ... But
maybe this will help someone else...

1: http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Pyrex/version/CHANGES.txt

--
Martin Tournoij
carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net

QOTD:
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
"Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
truth.
		-- Alfred North Whitehead