Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:56:31 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Porter" <mupi@mknet.org>, "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: cable modem

Oh, it's hundreds of times worse than this.  If you inspect the IP allocations
you will find that companies like Microsoft have been assigned entire class
A's.  This is insane because they isolate all of those numbers behind
firewalls, and probably no more than 100-200 numbers are actually offering
services on the Internet and need to be reachable from connections initiated
from the Internet.

In Microsoft's case they could probably make do with a single /24 allocation
if they were to switch everything internally over to RFC1918 addressing.  But
of course they and companies like them won't unless forced.  Yet, Microsoft is
the one out there pushing Microsoft Proxy and Microsoft Internet Sharing (NAT)
both of which are intended to be used with customers that have renumbered
their internal networks over to RFC1918.  Another case of do what I say not
what I do here.

If Microsoft would spend their money on renumbering out of the public ranges
they have tied up instead of switching over all the FreeBSD systems on Hotmail
over to NT, then the entire Internet would be a whole lot better off.  But
since their products are crap they are just as undigestible to themselves as
they are to customers.