Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:25:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        "Michael T. Gray, met" <mtg@dmi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time in Un*x

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Michael T. Gray, met wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I spent a lot of time getting opinions about UN*x and decided on
> FreeBSD with an Apache WWW server. I have worked on computers for 20
> years, mostly DOS, lots of networks, several program languages including
> C/C++. I am setting up a Web Server.
> 	I downloaded Apache from FreeBSD and am ready to set it up. Only
> problem is, I have no idea how. Most of the instructions say something
> like: "configure it however you wish", or "setup the way you like". Are
> there better resources for this? Books I am finding either assume you've
> never seen anything more technical than an abacus, or assume you are an
> expert and really don't need a book other than to create an impressive
> bookshelf. Any suggestions?
> 			Thanks, MTG

	Well, a great one to start with is "The Complete FreeBSD".  You
can get it from Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com).  If has a lot of info and
covers everything from basics to a few advanced areas as well.  Since you
have been working with other types of computers for a long time, I think
you will acclimate pretty well and quickly.  As much as people want to
make unix sound difficult, it just ain't that hard.  My wife prefers it
over windoze for her email and web surfing.  You might check out "The Unix
System Administration Handbook, 2nd Ed." by Nemeth et al.  This covers a
wider range of unices as well as describes good practices for taking care
of your unix boxes.

	Someone already mentioned the O'Reilly Apache book.  That would be
good to have as well.

cheers,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,