Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:53:27 -0500
From:      "Jason Wilson" <jwilson@nobilis.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Move to <insert here> mail server? WAS Re: Sending mail gets'Relaying Denied' from off network.

We all have our preferences. If you're looking for a "Turn-Key"
solution, Courier-MTA or Mail Toaster set-ups are damn fine. If you're
up for the learning experience, which will broaden your knowledge of how
all the pieces fit together, below is my open-ended recommendation:

Postfix (the mail/postfix port) with MySQL or Postgres as a
configuration backend. There are a lot of examples of how to do this
with MySQL on the Postfix webpage (www.postfix.org) which can be easily
adapted to Postgres if you so choose.

Cyrus as a POP3/IMAP server, with Web-Cyradm (see mail/cyrus-imapd22 and
www.web-cyradm.org) or...
Dovecot as a POP3/IMAP server, which I've found to be smokin fast and
fairly easy on the memory load (mail/dovecot) or...
As I was digging through the ports, DBMail looks interesting as well
(mail/dbmail).

You may also want procmail (mail/procmail) or maildrop (mail/maildrop)
for delivery.

SpamAssassin for filtering (mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin) and possibly
Amavis-new (security/amavis-new) with ClamAV (security/clamav). With
this setup, you could let Amavis-new do both your SpamAssassin and AV
scanning. Also, ClamAV is but one choice in the Virus scanning choices
in ports/security. If going the Postfix route, it is recommended by the
author to avoid MailScanner.

As for webmail, everyone has their own opinion as to which one they like
best. I've been a fan of IMP so I'll advocate the Horde Framework + IMP.
If you'd like any additional web-workgroup features, adding calendaring
(Kronolith), contacts (Turba), or any other features is a snap.=20

I know it's not down to the wire specific, but with the exception of the
"Turn-Key" solutions, a mail server is a sum of its parts as well as the
child of it's admin (Daddy, could I have 50 dollars for more RAM
please).

Regards,
Jason Wilson
Sr. Network Engineer