Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:10:06 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2020: Will BSD and Linux be relevant anymore?

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 05:06:27AM -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net> wrote:
> >
> > The perfect computing device would fit in a pocket, have a screen the
> > size of your wall, have a full (and full-sized) keyboard, and your
> > choice of pointing devices.  It would be able to play any game you
> > wanted to play, hold every movie and song ever recorded along with
> > your entire lifetime's collection of documents, and be able to access
> > the Internet from anywhere.  It would only need to be recharged as
> > often as you sleep.  (And would be able to recharge anywhere.)
>=20
> It would also be fully encrypted and keyed to your fingerprint or
> retinal scan, so that no thief would be able to extract anything from
> it,

=2E . . unless he took your thumb or eyeball.

> and the encrypted files would be backed up automatically whenever it
> was recharged to guard against data loss in case of loss, theft,
> damage, malfunction, etc.

Ahhh, good call.

Of course, I'd probably prefer near-realtime versioned backups via DVCS
to an encrypted repository over the network.

(Sorry about accidentally sending an email to you off-list first; I meant
to send it to the list in the first place.)

--=20

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2--