Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:29:31 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux 3Dfx

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 11:25:39AM -0500, Paul Murphy wrote:
>  I followed the cheat-sheet at
> http://www.bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=23
> to enable Voodoo 3Dfx, but the glide test only works as root, users get

Cool, I didn't know that site until now.

> '_GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo Graphics, none
> detected'
>
> FreeBSD is: FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Fri Dec 22 15:51:26 EST 2000
>
> dmesg says: 	pci0: <ATI Mach64-GU graphics accelerator> at 10.0
> 		pci0: <3Dfx Voodoo graphics accelerator> at 11.0
>
> /dev/pci is: crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   78,   0 Dec 28 17:51 pci
>
>  I have tried changing permissions on /dev/pci to 'crw-rw-rw-' to no
> avail
> (this is obviously a permissions thing).

I think you need to change the permissions on /dev/io rather then on /dev/pci.

But a better solution would be to use the tdfx device. See
http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~cokane/ on how to use it. It seems to be only
in -current, but I used the driver successfully in 4.0 and 4.1-stable, by
adding the source code to the tree and patching the linux_ioctl.[ch],
following the included instructions. However, this driver only works for
a single Voodoo2 board. When I added a second board to use it in SLI mode
I couldn't use this driver anymore (system hang...). As root it works
however, Unreal Tournament in 1024x768, yummie ;-).

Good luck,

Karel.