Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 22:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Geoff Mohler <gemohler@dyslexic.phoenix.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium Pro?

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Geoff Mohler wrote:

> Is FreeBSD in a good position to take full advantage
> of the Pentium PRO processors?

Not really.  It can barely take advantage of the Pentium processor (mainly
because our version of gcc doesn't support Pentium extensions).

If you are planning on going multi-processor then tune into the
freebsd-smp list.

> And on another slightly related note, what would be the
> best configuration for a Web site under FreeBSD, that would
> require a minimum of 1Million hits per day.

1 MILLION?  Holy cow!

Lots of RAM, 100-mbit link, fast hard disks.  Just a quick guess.  Perhaps
someone else can comment (how about wcarchive / www.cdrom.com?).