Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:33:01 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Vince Valenti" <vince@blue-box.net>, "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>, "Lord Raiden" <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        "Vince Valenti" <vince@bendcable.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "\"nate\"" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
Subject:   Re: sudden reboots

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lord Raiden" <raiden23@netzero.net>
To: "Vince Valenti" <vince@blue-box.net>; "Jonathan Arnold"
<jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc: "Vince Valenti" <vince@bendcable.com>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>; ""nate"" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 5:40 AM

>          Well in actuality I've got a number of machines running 4.5
and
> without a flaw.  I've even got an old P120 running as a mail server,
ftp
> server, and web server all in one happy little package without a hitch
or a
> glitch.  I did notice that there was a couple of big flaws in the most
> recent releases of sysinstall, but that's about it.  Usually if you're
> hitting issues with your server rebooting at random, it's usually
hardware
> related.  Try swapping some stuff out till you get a stable running
> machine.  I had a similar issue a while back with 4.3 on one of our
mail
> servers.  It ends up I had to swap out the ISA nic cards for PCI and
it
> played happily afterwords.

While I agree with your statements in general, it sure is odd that a
small group of us all experienced problems soon after upgrading to
4.5-RELEASE and had not had such problems before.  When I get some time
(US income taxes are due), I will revert to 4.4-RELEASE and see if the
problems disappear.  I will certainly post my results here.

[snip]

Cheers,

Drew