Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:00:29 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wireless networking question

On Apr 24 2010 13:39, Chip Camden wrote:
> A new notebook (ASUS K72F) has integrated wireles networking.  The technical
> specifications are sadly lacking, so I don't know what chipset.  The
> wired ethernet appears to use uath, but that's not working as a wlandev.
> Since most everything else is Intel, I figured it could be an Intel
> chipset, and since it supports 802.11n, I think its probably in the
> 6000 series.  I tried all the Intel drivers that are listed here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers#FreeBSD
>
> And none of them appeared to work.  Looking a little further down, it
> seems that the Intel 6000 is supported by iwn on OpenBSD, but not on
> FreeBSD.  But I could be barking up the entirely wrong tree.
>
> Can anyone shed some light here?  Is there any way to query the hardware,
> short of opening the box (which will void the warranty)?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Sterling (Chip) Camden | camdensoftware.com | chipstips.com | chipsquips.com

More info:  I found the following in the output of pciconf -vl:

none3@pci0:2:0:0:	class=0x028000 card=0x10891a3b chip=0x002b168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    class      = network
alc0@pci0:3:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x18201043 chip=0x10631969 rev=0xc0 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

Looks like the first entry show here is my wireless (guessing), because
alc0 is my wired.  Any ideas from that what driver I should be using?
I've tried 'ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0', as well as ath1..9 and
uath0..9, and I always get:

ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | camdensoftware.com | chipstips.com | chipsquips.com