Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:13:23 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mac Newbold <newbold@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS Technology Allegro-1 with 4.7-STABLE

/-- Mac Newbold wrote:
| And it came to pass that Today, at 11:26am, Orion Hodson said:
|
| >If you are prepared to do some leg work, a good start now would be building
| >a kernel without your customizations and testing that.  If it fails, try
| >looking at the diffs of the past revisions on the RELENG_4 branch for the
| >driver and checking there, preferably with the specs in hand.
|
| So building a new kernel wouldn't be necessary, since I'm already using a
| standard kernel. What else could I try besides not loading the modules?

If you look at the top of maestro3.c you'll see there is debug level macro
M3_DEBUG_LEVEL, but default it is set to NONE, there are three other values
CHANGE, CALL, BORING.  You could try enabling these at the differing levels
and try to follow what is happening.

You could also try modifying m3_wr_assp to read back the values that it writes
to check they stick - this may break things further - I don't what the story
is with this chipset but many chipsets have registers that read back different
values anyway, but it's a potential avenue.  If the specs are available that
should help decide which values not sticking after write matter.

Failing that you could pole Scott and see if he has any ideas.  If you have
the debug logs that would save you both time.

| >If you don't want to do the leg work, I'd suggest splashing out $10 on a
| >cheapo PCI card (als4000, cs4281, cmi8738).
|
| Is there an easy way to find out which cards have those, or what chipset a
| particular card uses? Obviously I could look at web pages one by one, but
| is there a list somewhere?

Try searching for these strings on shopping.yahoo.com, they'll take you to the
relevant cards - many are no brand specials.

Kind Regards
- Orion