Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 14:05:32 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't open /dev/rfd0: Device not configured

David Kelly wrote:

> Upgraded from 3.1-stable to 3.2-stable this weekend using "make world".
> Then needed to write a DOS floppy and found mtools failed:

I just went through this a week or so ago. There are massive changes
to many things in /etc. There are new /dev device names. I didn't
really have 3.2-stable until I really ran mergemaster and rebooted.

Kent (KA7GKW)

> % mdir a:
> Can't open /dev/rfd0: Device not configured
> Cannot initialize 'A:'
> % fdformat /dev/rfd0.1440
> fdformat: /dev/rfd0.1440: Device not configured
> % ls -l /dev/rfd0
> crw-rx----  9 root  operator    9,   0 May 24 08:24 /dev/rfd0
> % id
> uid=928(dkelly) gid=928(dkelly) groups=928(dkelly), 0(wheel), 5(operator), 68(dialer)
> % dmesg | grep fdc
> fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
> fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
> %
>
> Built a new kernel too. My selections are a subset of GENERIC, the fdc
> stuff was untouched.
>
> What broke? It used to work with earlier 3.1's. It appears dmesg sees
> the floppy device. Is it something I'm doing?
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html