Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:59:42 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        Aur?lien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One disk, one total partition, want to install -CURRENT, mass storage ?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 07:45:59PM +0000, Josh Paetzel typed:
> On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 16:49, Aur?lien Nephtali wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm on a laptop with one 10GB disk drive, my FreeBSD partition uses the entire
> > disk. What I want is to install a -CURRENT but I don't want to remove/move/etc
> > datas on the 10GB disk. I was thinking about installing a -CURRENT on a drive
> > plugged into an USB to IDE Adapter, but I was told that, because of my poor
> > BIOS, my laptop wasn't able to boot on a removable disk. Ideas, advice ?

I haven't tried this, but if you build a -CURRENT kernel with

options		ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:adXs1a\"

where adXs1a is de root partition on your removable disk, you can put this
kernel alongside your 4.x kernel on the 10GB disk. When you then manually
load this kernel from the OK prompt it will mount the root partition from
your removable disk.

hope this helps,
Ruben