Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:23:19 -0700
From:      Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bind, Freebsd and permission problems.

I am currently running bind as root on my secondary DNS server because it
will not run correctly as anything else. If I run it as bind:bind it is not
able to write the temporary files to the drive. It does not matter what the
permissions are on the files or directories.

I run my primary DNS server as bind:bind but I am unable to -HUP it because
it gets a permission denied on the named.conf file. This .conf file is
currently owned by bind:bind with a permissions of 440. It does not master
what I set the permissions too, it does not work.

So my question is, it their any docs to help me either jail named or run it
correctly as something other then root on FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Erin