Date:      Sun, 1 May 2011 08:18:20 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        mato <gamato@users.sf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: expiration of net/skype ?!

On 1 May 2011 07:58, "mato" <gamato@users.sf.net> wrote:

> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-Apr-26 01:47:30 +0200, martinko<gamato@users.sf.net>  wrote:
>>

>>> So what is this deprecation and expiration of net/skype port please ??
>>>

>> Whilst the Skype port still works, the version of Skype referenced by
>> the port is no longer available and later versions of Skype do not
>> (currently) work on FreeBSD.  My reading of the Skype license suggests
>> that the FreeBSD Project cannot host the distfile without an agreement
>> with Skype.  This means that someone who doesn't currently have the
>> Skype distfile cannot install the Skype port.
>>
>> I believe work is underway to support the currently available version
>> of Skype.
>>

> Ok, from my understanding it wouldn't be the first time a port distfile is
not (easily) available yet the port itself works if one can get the
distfile.  And it's very easy to search successfully the interwebs for this
particular distfile.  In such a case I see no reason to remove the port if
it works (under condition one gets the distfile).  I myself have it (and I
even host it privately).  And reading mailing lists reveals there are many
people using the port.

If one is capable of finding a distfile it's a trivial addition to find the
port.

Rather than having defective ports in the tree, perhaps you could host the
Skype shar? With a decent title it'll probably show up early enough on a
Google search.

Chris