Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:30:05 GMT
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/114578: wide character printing using swprintf(dst, n, "%ls", txt) fails depending on LC_CTYPE

The following reply was made to PR kern/114578; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Christoph Mallon <christoph.mallon@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:25:34 -0500

 fputwc(3) has similar language about copying the character to the
 output stream, but POSIX still says it can fail with EILSEQ if the
 wide character doesn't exist in the current locale.

 This isn't my area of expertise, but the present behavior seems
 correct. If the current locale doesn't support a given wide
 character, we should not invent a multibyte character sequence for
 it, because the other end of the stream may not even be able to
 interpret it.