Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 02:29:09 +0000
From:      "Jason Diesel" <jdiesel@dataware.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Disk, answers ...

Hi there

I did send an email yesterday, regarding this subject, but got no
answers (which I usually do very promptly), so I thought that my
information supplied was not complete enough, so here goes once
again.

I have a standard pc, 386DX 40Mhz, with 8Mb RAM, and:
Maxtor HDD 1024 cyl, 16 heads and 63 sectors = 504Mb, bytes / sector
= 512.

Under DOS the HDD works perfectly, and so do the serial ports! The
program QA Plus (for those of you who know it) reports that the HDD
is an IDE type with a HD base = 1F0h. I have partitioned it into
three partitions and the once I am trying to install FreeBSD onto is
200Mb.

I do a rawrite of the boot.flp onto a diskette, and boot the system.
My experience tells me what to look for. I find the network card, and
the console and standard things, but no serial ports (COM1 and COM2)
and no wdc0. I reboot DOS and all are there. I do have an oldish
controller card, where the serial, parallel, floppy and HDD
controller are all on one card, and I have lost the instructions to
the card so I don't know exactly what jumpers should go where, but it
all works under DOS.

Is there a problem with the 1024 cyl, I did read teh FAQ sheet and
noticed some issues on the 1024 cyl stuff. I also noticed in some
source code (wd.c) that it has some comments about 1023 ... But in
the source it also shows that an error will be shown if this does
happen, but why do I loose my serial ports.

I would appreciate any information, like maybe changing the bios on
what disk I have, etc.

Many thanx

JAson
Please Note, my new e-mail address:         jdiesel@iee.org