Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:28:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Latest kernel

I am getting panics immediately after startup on the latest kernel now,
which I wasn't getting a few days ago.  I haven't used crash dumps
before, but I want to report something useful, so I want to start this,
and I have a question.

I've built the debugging kernel, about 10M in size, but I don't really
have room in /var to stick it, is there any problem with it being in
/usr2, where there's lots of room?  I have 2 swap partitions, and either
will easily handle the crash dump.

When the crash occurs, right after starting the smp stuff, and drops to
ddb, what's the command to get it to dump the crash dump?  Is it just
there automatically, and do I just type "panic" to get ddb to exit and
dump the core?

I understand I have to save the crash dump immediately after rebooting
-s with my good kernel, using savecore.  All the savecore examples give
/var/crash as the target, is that hardcoded in, or can I move it as I
showed above to /usr2 (/usr2/crash) after mounting /usr2 in single, so
it's writeable?

Thanks.  I'll report the results soon's I get them.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).