Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:14:24 -0800
From:      "M. Brownsworth" <mdb@primelogic.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ucspi-unix compile problems

There's nothing like posting to mailing lists to get the answers to
your problems.  Not that the answers always come from the list
members.  Nine times out of ten, after I post to a list I keep
digging in archives and documentation and ferret out the answer on my
own.  Oddly, it doesn't seem to work if I don't post to the list
first.  That was the case this time as well.  I posted my problem
compiling (running FreeBSD 4.7) ucspi-unix, required by vmailmgr, to
freebsd-answers, then joined the vmailmgr list and posted here.
Almost immediately, I came across a post in the ucspi-unix list
archive that said ucspi-unix, qmail-autoresponder, and a few other
programs by Bruce Guenter required his proprietary bglibs in order to
compile, so I located and downloaded bglibs-1.005.  Unfortunately,
bglibs wouldn't compile either.  So I joined the bgware list and
posted the problem.  Shortly afterward, I discovered some esoteric
posts in the archives that discussed the need for some defines in one
of bglibs' files, although it wasn't absolutely clear specifically
what should be added and to which file.  But with nothing to lose, I
added the following to only unix/sig_all.c:

   #define SIGMAX _SIG_MAXSIG
   #define _NSIG 32

Voila!  It compiled like a champ.  I installed and then cd'ed to
ucspi-unix.  Boom!  Same deal, smooth as glass.  Ditto with
qmail-autoresponder.  Time to start vmailmgr to see if my efforts
were not in vain.  I wanted it to run under the supervise facility,
so it would automatically be restarted if it quit.  There was no
documentation on how to set up supervise specifically to run
vmailmgr, so I cloned one of the qmail supervise setups and crossed
my fingers.  And what do you know?  It started perfectly and came up:

   38248 con  S+     0:01.04 supervise vmailmgrd
   38249 con  I+     0:00.00 supervise log

Many thanks to the list.

Best,
.\\ichelle