Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:38:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharity-light problems...

Michael Lucas writes:
 > On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 02:03:45PM -0400, Christopher Rued wrote:
 > >
 > > I just installed the sharity light port on my FreeBSD 3.5 system, and
 > > I am getting the following error:
 > >
 > > # /usr/local/sbin/shlight //nt_host/share_name /P -U username
 > > Password: *******
 > > Kernel: smb_receive_raw: Invalid packet 0x83
 > > Kernel: smb_receive: receive error: -5
 > > Kernel: smb_proc_connect: Failed to send SESSION REQUEST.
 > > error connecting to server: [5] Input/output error
 > > #
 > >
 > > Does anybody have any clue what may be wrong?
 >
 > Sharity-light is basically obsolete, and poorly maintained, and
 > somehow manages to both suck, *and* blow, at the same time.
 >
 > I'd recommend you try the BSD-native SMBFS.  Here's a tutorial I wrote
 > about it:
 >
 > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/07/13/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
 >
 > O'Reillynet also has a useful sharity-light article; you can access it
 > from the URL above.  (Sorry, I only remember my own URLs. :)

I used sharity-light once before (on 3.3-R) and it worked, although
not very well.  Since then, I have upgraded the same machine to
3.5-Stable.  Now sharity light fails as I mentioned above.

I had heard of smbfs somewhere else, and decided to try it (in fact, I
came across your web page while searching google).  I followed the
instructions listed in the INSTALL file, and when I do:

    #kldload /modules/smbfs.ko

the system crashes with an `Invalid Page Fault in Kernel mode'.

Any clue?  I'd be happy to provide any other information that might
help.

Thanks in advance,

					-Chris