Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:59:22 +0700
From:      "Vladimir N. Kovalev" <smith@scn.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does pp= option in gettytab still work ?

                            Hello !
My company use FreeBSD 2.2-980627-SNAP as dial-up PPP server with automatic
start pppd from getty.
Then I have installed it, I simply add new entry in gettytab like this
ppp.115200:\
        :pp=/usr/sbin/pppd:tc=115200-baud:
and set in /etc/ttys this terminal type
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty ppp.115200" AT386   on insecure

That's work fine !

But three days ago I install FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE with the same comfiguration and
this isn't work.
I even cannot see a login prompt !
Then I switch to the std.115200 in /etc/ttys. I get a "login:" but PPP does not
recognize, of course.
I spend two days to compare gettytab, getty and sio sources with
2.2-980627-SNAP, and to search in man and mailing list archives decision of this
problem.
Unfortunetly, I can't find it.
Finaly, I add "pp=/usr/sbin/pppd" optons to the std.115200 like this
std.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:pp=/usr/sbin/pppd:
and it's work.
But not so good !
I can see a login pronpt and PPP recognized but then I make mistake in my login
name I get a trash, but not a new password request like this

FreeBSD/i386 (newman.scn.ru) (ttyd0)

login: smith
Password:
Login incorrect