Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:20:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Basically, all GUIs suck.  I came to FreeBSD to get out of the
640K DOS box.  I just wish I had the option of using graphics
mode more often when I did want to deal with graphics.  I have
hacked svgalib and zgv to work from the command line.  I wish I
could run more applications from the command line like the
paint, games, and graphics editors available for DOS.

Home PCs do not need the level of security that servers need because
the machines are physically secure and no one is logging in from off
site. And most of the objections to command line graphics are, as I
understand it, the problems of letting users grab the console. Yet, X
does exactly that.  So what is the problem with command-line
graphics?

--
Lars Eighner
eighner@io.com