Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2018 20:13:52 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Stephen Cook <sclists@gmail.com>
Cc:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, deb@freebsdfoundation.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 05:17:59PM -0500, Stephen Cook wrote:
> On 2018-03-05 15:51, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 02:48:26PM -0500, Stephen Cook wrote:
> >> The problem with the Foundation sponsoring a CoC is that a small group
> >> of extremists forced their way in to generate and implement their own
> >> set of rules, secretly.
> >
> > This is exactly not what happened.
>
> Points of view will differ.

>From the emails I have read, the core@ group convened an outreach
committee to draft the CoC.  No one "forced their way in".

Clearly from all the blowback, there is no way to debate the wording of
something like this in a group of thousands of people.  There has to be
a subset.  That's just human nature.  Otherwise, nothing ever gets done.

> > An alternate explanation is that people are tired of going through every
> > sentence of every post about this, word by word, and trying to respond
> > in a way that cannot possibly be misconstrued.
>
> I haven't seen many posts about this, maybe you mean in the secret
> mailing list?

I don't read all the FreeBSD mailing lists (I was surprised to find myself
on advocacy@), so I have no idea where all the discussions are taking place,
including the original question you asked.

fwiw, I do not represent the Project, and thus ...

> There is nothing to misconstrue or dance around. I cannot find this
> information on the site.

... I can say I have no idea.

> Some transparency would help people better understand what is going on.
>
> > I myself have neither the time nor motivation to respond to every single
> > message on this subject; it's demotivating.  I suspect most of the posters
> > have already made up their minds, in any case.
>
> But you had time and motivation to respond to mine...

Yes, despite knowing that I was wasting the first, and eroding the second.

> to say I am wrong and that I do not deserve a response to my question

I didn't say you did not deserve a response to your question.  This is
what I meant earlier about having every word scrutinized.

But I'm just wasting electrons, now.

mcl