Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:50:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kjk1@ukc.ac.uk
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> > The correct way for a multitasking OS to deal with this is *NOT* to
> > drop into a buzz loop and to cease being a multitasking OS for the
> > duration of the loop, as you are suggesting.
>
> I agree with you that busy-looping on a device is not the correct way to
> go about I/O, and I understand why FreeBSD does not busy-loop. However, we
> are not talking about SCSI or IDE drivers, we are talking about a lowly
> floppy driver.

Busy looping is wrong.  It doesn't matter if it's self-defense, it's
still wrong.  It's maybe justifiable, but justifiability and wrongness
are completely orthogonal attributes.

> This discussion is about people finding their floppies
> trashed by their OS. Hardly `the correct way'.

You may have a valid complaint, that FreeBSD did not do the wrong
thing, and then rationalize it after the fact to justify doing the
wrong thing; OR you may have a vlid complaint that FreeBSD allows
you to access the drive when you are loading your system above the
timing constraints.

> If I look at how I use my floppy drive, I'm usually sitting and waiting
> for it to finish anyway, so if my CPU is clocking idle time or system time
> makes no difference for me, personally.

Then run whatever process at a much higher priority.  Problem solved.

> FreeBSD has special options for people with broken keyboard resets,
> broken APM and broken PCMCIA cards. Why not add another one for unfifo'd
> floppy controllers?

We have one.  It's called "-s".  Use this option at the boot prompt.
The floppy will function as it did during the problem-free install
you reported.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---