Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:59:26 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        john@firstbase.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contributing a large body of code

In the last episode (Jan 23), john@firstbase.com said:
> Sorry to bother you with a general question:
>
> Inside of http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/contrib-how.html section
> 20.2.4 talks about "contribution of a large body of work".
>
> I am the author of such a beast, FirstBase, I develop on FreeBSD, and
> I'd like to contribute FirstBase and tune it to be a FreeBSD package.
>
> http://firstbase.com/firstbase
>
> Can you point me in the right direction.

The handbook section you're in really refers to contributing things to
the base system (say a patch to ls), instead of creating a port/package
for a 3rd-party application.  http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/
is the reference for creating a port.  Since you said you develop on
FreeBSD, the port Makefile should be pretty simple.  The "Quick
Porting" section will probably be all you need.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com