Date:      Wed, 30 May 2007 18:42:52 -0400
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Post Xorg 7.x - Settings for switching to console from X (was Re: Stranges messages in terminal)

in message <18013.56864.577603.451969@jerusalem.litteratus.org>,
wrote Robert Huff thusly...

> Ctl-Alt-Fn used to allow me to switch consoles; with Xorg 7.2, no
> more.  Would some kind sole point me to the documentation on how
> to enable this again?

I had the following section in xorg.conf (Xorg 6.[89]) which I have
copied to the 7.x version to be able to switch to console from X ...

  Section "ServerFlags"
      Option  "DontZap"   "false"

      Option  "DontZoom"  "true"

      Option  "AllowMouseOpenFail"    "true"

      #  XFree86 4.[34].x - Add "DontVTSwitch" to be false (for
      #  console switching).
      Option  "DontVTSwitch"  "false"

      Option  "HandleSpecialKeys" "always"

      #  Xorg 6.8.(2|99.903) - Add "XkbDisable" to be true (for
      #  console switching).
      Option  "XkbDisable"    "true"
  EndSection

... so I suppose one or both of "DontVTSwitch" & "XkbDisable"
options would allow the switching; feel free to test.

  - Parv