Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:41:10 -0500
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <alex.kovalenko@verizon.net>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>, Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@googlemail.com>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Patch to enable temperature ceiling in powerd

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 00:37 +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Hi,

> alex> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
>
> Perhaps, your ACPI BIOS doesn't provide _TSP, _TC1 and/or _TC2 which
> are required to work passive cooling.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction -- my system
(ThinkPad X60 1709-73U) does provide _TSP, _TC1 and _TC2, just not in
the tz0. All of that lives in tz1 and works perfectly -- as the matter
of fact I am writing this E-mail after setting

hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling: 1
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: 55.0C

dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 0

and absolutely loving how quiet my laptop is. Temperature is climbing
slowly, but this is just a matter of creating small script to tickle
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan every now and again.

Johannes,

since you were the only one who actually needed that patch to get
through the buildworld, could you, please, set

sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling=1
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV=85C

disable my patch by removing '-T and -z' from powerd_flags
in /etc/rc.conf

restart powerd, by doing

/etc/rc.d/powerd restart

and try to do the buildworld. If it works for you, I will kindly ask
someone to close that PR and apologize for wasting everybody's time.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)