Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 07:22:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        (Xmcd Admin) <xmcd@amb.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed for ioctl error in xmcd/cda with IDE CD-ROM

On 06-Dec-99 Xmcd Admin wrote:
> Conrad Sabatier writes:
>>
>> I keep getting the error:
>>
>> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/racd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5
>
> What version of xmcd are you running?  Some CDROM drives are slow
> to respond after issuing a start command, and a subsequent request
> to play can fail.  In xmcd 2.5, a small delay was inserted to work
> around this problem.  If you are running a version of xmcd older
> than 2.5, I suggest upgrading to the latest, which is 2.5 PL1.
> You can download it at:
>       http://metalab.unc.edu/tkan/xmcd/
>
> If you are already running 2.5, then perhaps I can work with you
> a bit to track down the problem.

I'm running the latest version.  It's odd; some of the CD players
I've tried under FreeBSD exhibit this behavior, while others don't.
I'm no expert at what's going on at the driver/io level, I'm afraid.

Would you like me to run xmcd with the -debug switch and mail you the
output?

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/