Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:02:51 -0800
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
To:        Eric Pogroski <pogrose@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cdrecord -scanbus problem...

* Eric Pogroski <pogrose@twcny.rr.com> [2004-03-08 11:24]:
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:49:04 -0600
> "Schroeder, AJ" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just recently upgraded my system to 5.2-RELEASE, as evidenced by uname -a:

I'm curious, what version did you upgrade from?

> > FreeBSD mephisto.qg.com 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan 27
> > 16:05:26 CST 2004     root@mephisto.qg.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MEPHISTO
> > i386
> >
> > I was able to burn CDs in my previous installation, but now I am getting
> > nothing but trouble with cdrecord whenever I try to execute it, so I decided
> > to try scanning the bus, and here is my output:
> >
> > [root@mephisto root]# cdrecord -scanbus
> > Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i386-unknown-freebsd5.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2002
> > J\x{FFFF}rg Schilling
> > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> > root.
> > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> > [root@mephisto root]#
> >
> > I looked in /dev and I saw all the devices defined that I needed, like:
> >
> > crw-r-----   1 root      operator    4,  18 Jan 27 16:58 acd0
> > crw-r-----   1 root      operator    4,  19 Jan 27 16:58 acd1

If I'm not mistaken (I could be), the above devices are
the ATAPI drives, where the corresponding atapicam devices
(used by cdrecord) are:

crw-r-----    1 root	operator	4,   18 Jan 27 16:58 cd0c
crw-r-----    1 root	operator	4,   19 Jan 27 16:58 cd1c

> > Cdrecord is installed along with xcdroast and other gui front-end apps, all
> > of them fail. Both of the drives are good because I can mount CDs in them. I
> > am also attaching a copy of my /var/run/dmesg.boot and a copy of my kernel
> > config in case I did something wrong there.

I have very little experience with 5.x.  I don't know how the
kernel handles SCSI via ATA; if the config is the same or not...
Incidentally, I didn't see your kernel config or dmesg output.

from http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

device ata
device atapicd	# or atapifd or atapist
device atapicam
# Versions prior to 20020820 used 'options ATAPICAM'
device scbus
device pass
device cd	# or sa or da

This info is a little dated, but may still be relevant
in your case.  I'd make sure your kernel has the appropriate
options and rebuild it.

> > Any help on this matter would be appreciated greatly, also, please cc me, I
> > am not a part of this list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > AJ Schroeder
> >
> su to root then use cdrecord scanbus

Please read the post before giving advice.  He is root.

> or
> add yourself to the wheel group, then do 'sudo cdrecord scanbus'
> or
> (most unsecure option) su to root, chmod +s /usr/local/bin/cdrecord,
> exit root, cdrecord is now usable by 'regular' user's.
>
> Eric

The above suggestions will work if you're actually having
permissions problems with the device.

--
Joshua

Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
		-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4