Date:      Thu, 12 May 2011 12:26:36 +1000
From:      Danny Carroll <fbsd@dannysplace.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: How to enable cache and logs.

On 11/05/2011 7:25 PM, Danny Carroll wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've been using ZFS for some time now and have never had an issued
> (except perhaps the issue of speed...)
> When v28 is taken into -STABLE I will most likely upgrade to v28 at that
> point.   Currently I am running v15 with v4 on disk.
>
> When I move to v28 I will probably wish to enable a L2Arc and also
> perhaps dedicated log devices.
>
> I'm curious about a few things however.
>
> 1. Can I remove either the L2 ARC or the log devices if things don't go
> as planned or if I need to free up some resources?
> 2. What are the best practices for setting up these?   Would a geom
> mirror for the log device be the way to go.  Or can you just let ZFS
> mirror the log itself?
> 3. What happens when one or both of the log devices fail.   Does ZFS
> come to a crashing halt and kill all the data?   Or does it simply
> complain that the ZIL is no longer active and continue on it's merry way?
>
> In short, what is the best way to set up these two features?

Replying to myself in order to summarise the recommendations (when using
v28):
 - Don't use SSD for the Log device.  Write speed tends to be a problem.
 - SSD ok for cache if the sizing is right, but without TRIM, don't
expect to take full advantage of the SSD.
 - Do use two devices for log and mirror them with ZFS.  Bad things
*can* happen if*all* the log devices die.
 - Don't colocate L2ARC and Log devices.
 - Log devices can be small, ZFS Best practices guide specifies about
50% of RAM as max.  Minimum should be Throughput * 10 (1Gb for 100MB/sec
of writes).

let me know if I got anything wrong or missed something important.

Remaining questions.
- Is there any advantage to using a spare partition on a SCSI or SATA
drive as L2Arc?  Assuming it was in the machine already but doing nothing?
- If I have 2 pools like this:
# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 11h7m with 0 errors on Sun May  8 14:17:07
2011
config:

        NAME            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank            ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data5   ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data6   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data7   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data8   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data9   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data10  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/data11  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: system
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 1h1m with 0 errors on Sun May  8 15:18:23 2011
config:

        NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        system           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror         ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/system0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/system1  ONLINE       0     0     0

And I have free space on the "system" disks.   I could give two new
partitions on the system disks to ZFS for the log devices of the "tank"
pool?
If I were worried about performance of my "system" pool, I could also
use spare partitions on (a couple of) the "tank" disks in a similar way.
But it would be silly to use the same disk for ZIL and pool data.  In
that case, why would I bother to alter the default.

Thanks for the info!

-D