Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:04:42 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xchat & xchat-devel?

> I don't know that it'll replace the current xchat port.. I mean, when
> it gets to 1.1.10, 1.2.0 will probably become the stable version, and
> 1.3.x the development tree (if they use their current version
> numbering).  Am I making sense with any of this?

<IMHO>
I ask again.

Do we really need two xchat ports?  Is the development version stable in
your experience?  Are there fundamental changes in the development
version that once it is released, some people will want to stick with the
previous version (perhaps forever)?  Do people really need to be running
the development version (in an easy to install port manner)?  Does the
development version fix bugs/problems with the currently released
version?

If not, then I would suggest either leaving the current xchat port we
have as is, or upgrading it to the development version (because it is
stable in your opinion) and just let people use that.  MANY of us are
becoming to hate the proliferage of -devel ports bloat.

We finally got rid of the mkisofs-devel port and just made it the mkisofs
port.  It had much improved functionality, and the port maintainer just
tests any new development versions of it before upgrading the port.

Two ports that are justified in having two versions are bash1 and
egcs-devel.  A shell is something one uses everyday for almost every
function.  Bash2 changed a lot of fundamental stuff.  Thus many people
will never upgrade to bash2 from bash1.

In the case of egcs-devel... we you certainly don't want to depend on a
development version of a compiler that does in deed have fatal bugs in it
at times (just like FreeBSD-CURRENT).  You could say that we just
shouldn't have the egcs-devel port then, but due to its size and
complexity, if I didn't keep up with the EGCS people's changes it would
be just too much effort to upgrade at once.  (plus the egcs-devel version
will become the base compiler of FreeBSD-CURRENT once it is released, so
I can't mess up on this one)

</IMHO>

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)