Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:30:49 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Volker Stolz <stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>, Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idprio

In the last episode (Mar 27), Andrew said:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > > Sure it can, if the idprio process has locked a vnode trying to update

Careful; I wrote the above line, not Terry.

> But if system calls aren't preempted under what circumstances can a
> process hold a vnode lock and then be usurped for processor?

System calls aren't preempted, but if while processing a syscall, the
kernel decides to tsleep(), say because of disk I/O (a very common
thing when dealing with vnodes :), then another process is free to
start running.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com