Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:28:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Domas Mituzas <domas.mituzas@delfi.lt>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   strange inetd behaviour

Hi,

I noticed some strange inetd behaviour in slight load. We have written our
custom pop3 load balancer, that is started from inetd as:

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait/1024/256 creator          /usr/local/libexec/p3p  p3p

User database is really constant (no changes during last 3 months, since
last world rebuild :) The problem is that during ps observations I found

root    82248  0.0  0.6  1996  752  ??  S     4:02PM   0:00.01 p3p:  foo@1.2.3.4 <--> 5.6.7.8 (p3p)

instead of

creator 82248  0.0  0.6  1996  752  ??  S     4:02PM   0:00.01 p3p:  foo@1.2.3.4 <--> 5.6.7.8 (p3p)

This means there's some privillege escalation and that is a Bad Thing
(tm). Or there is ps bug. Or there's inetd bug. Or there's any system bug.
It's really difficult to reproduce, maybe I'll try to add some hooks to my
software to do some environment checking if getuid()==0. But maybe there
are some issues untold about existance of such bugs or.. features?

--
Cheers,
Domas

{lt.freebsd.org|delfi.lt} systems guy