Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:24:41 -0500
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>, Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
Subject:   Re: pkgdb format

in message <43B3F22D.5070601@freebsd.org>, wrote Fernan Aguero
thusly...

> The pkgdb.db file got rebuild the first time, and then everything
> worked right until portupgrade reinstalled databases/ruby-bdb1.
> From this point on, the rebuilding of pkgdb.db started,
> alternating between bdm_hash and dbd1_btree

I personally never had problem w/ pkgdb update and type of the db
format used.  Then again i do not use portupgrade (& assortments)
much.

> Anyway, I just wanted to add that I've been unable to find
> documentation on the format of the pkgdb.db file ...  'man -k
> pkgdb' turns up pkgdb(1), but there is nothing there regarding the
> alternative formats (hash/btree) or how to set them explicitly.

sysutils/portupgrade needs databases/ruby18-bdb4 which needs
databases/db4.  Some of the files installed w/ db4 are in
/usr/local/bin/db4_* and /misc/local/share/doc/db4/{utility,ref}.  At
least two of them relate to db4_verify.  Well, running ...

  db4_verify /var/db/package/pkgdb.db

... prints lots of error messages.  All that looking around for no
good, but wait ...

  file /var/db/package/pkgdb.db
  /var/db/package/pkgdb.db: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native byte-order)

... so my version of pkgdb.db is in hash format.  Try that on yours.

  - Parv