Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:44:15 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        tugrul@ianai.BlackSun.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

Tugrul <tugrul@ianai.BlackSun.org> wrote:
> Right now I'm manually building the source
>tree with egcs to see how I fair.

I tried this with 2.x and gcc-2.8.1, but was never successful - I
never managed to stop it building the base compiler and not complain
that it hadn't built the base compiler.  I didn't spend much effort
on it.

>	The kernel code is a slightly different matter. I get the
>following errors:

FWIW, I've had very few problems building 2.x kernels using gcc-2.8.1.
(I did find some problems and have previously described fixes or work-
arounds for them all).  I haven't yet built an ELF gcc or EGCS, so I'm
not sure whether there are problems with -current.  If the compiler
is reporting "insn does not satisfy its constraints", then it's probably
a compiler bug.

Peter