Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:45:56 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Seth Murray <smurray@comboard.com>
Cc:        freeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboots, Clock thrown off

On Tuesday, 20 August 2002 at 23:01:41 -0700, Seth Murray wrote:
> Our new FBSD 4.6 server is spontaneously rebooting a couple times a day.
> No related log entries -- just resets without warnings or messages.

Are you getting any processes core dumping at unrelated times?

> When it powers back up, the CMOS clock is still correct, but the
> system clock is off by (apparently) random amounts -- usually less
> than 12 hours.

I don't understand this.  The system clock gets reloaded from the
system clock.  Is the time zone file changed?

> Running 4.6-Release. TYAN S2462 board with dual AMD 1666MHz
> processors.  All hardware is new. Not finding anything telling in
> any of the logs, I'm beginning to guess at a power supply or board
> level problem. We're running current releases of apache mod_ssl,
> postgresql, mod_php. Nothing else fancy. No unusual cron stuff.

Hmm.  We've seen problems related to (but probably not caused by) AMD
processors in the past.  I have one here (850 MHz Duron) which won't
run 4.6 reliably.  Have you tried other versions of FreeBSD?  Are you
getting messages about IDE problems?

Greg