Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:14:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        francisco@natserv.com, Don Clark <donclark@execulink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am New to Free BSD ...

On Sunday, 27 September 1998 at 12:32:18 -0000, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On 27-Sep-98 Don Clark wrote:
>> I ordered the 4 cdroms from Walnut Creek, and I assumed that the manual
>> would be located on the cdrom in PDF or Text format.
>
> It is. Check the first CD. I think it is on the /book directory.

That's "The Complete FreeBSD" (only obnoxious text format).  That's a
book which costs money, which is why there's no PostScript.

>> I would like to be able to print off the entire manual. I know I can
>> search the online manual after installing FreeBSD using the man command
>> , but how do I print out the manual.
>
> If you are refering to the "complete FreeBSD" as the "manual" be warned
> the thing is HUGE. If you were to print it, I think it takes over 1000
> pages.

Well, no, the man pages are missing on the text version, so it's
"only" about 800 pages.  But it's difficult to read.  Buy the book :-)

> I usually read it online or take a small subset cut/paste and
> print. I think the best thing to do, which I will do soon, is to get
> the book off walnut creek.

Exactly the intention.

> Also don't forget to check the FAQ and Handbook.

I think that's what he's talking about.

> I think they are on the CDrom, but they are for sure at
> www.freebsd.org (and mirrors).

The online handbook is on the second CD-ROM in the directory
/usr/share/doc/handbook, both in ASCII and HTML forms.

Greg