Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 22:32:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, joerg@sax.de, nate@trout.sri.mt.net, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, install-geeks@FreeBSD.org, bde@kralizec.zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Subject:   Re: MBONE interfaces and snazzy install tools.

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > FreeBSD-2.0-RELEASE
> > 1) normal crunch
> > 2) add perl
> > 3) add perl and substract sed, ed, grep, tar, ncftp
> >
> > uncompressed
> > 1. 1114112 cpio_flp_1
> > 2. 1380352 cpio_flp_1_perl (+266240 bytes)
> > 3. 1052672 cpio_flp_1_perl_short (-61440 bytes)
> >
> > compressed
> > 1. 556835 cpio_flp_1
> > 2. 674193 cpio_flp_1_perl (+117358 bytes)
> > 3. 518072 cpio_flp_1_perl_short (- 38763 bytes)
>
> Interesting figures.  I assume you eliminate tar because of cpio?  I
> notice that we still have tar on our CPIO floppy (awful name, BTW -
> it's time to change it!), do we need it ourselves or are we just being
> nice? I would guess that we can and should eliminate the last of the
> direct tar usage in the next release, deciding once and for all on
> *one* archiver (either retain cpio or go to pax!).

We should offer this to Bruce, too.  He's the only one that has ever
been looking into the awful minor # story.  I'm quoting the above
completely for him (and send it to him, too).

> I'm assuming that perl will let you write the full compliment of mv,
> cp, mkdir, .. blah .. "programs" as much shorter scripts?  Even
> crunched, we pay a hefty price for every exec we use!

Don't get it, sorry.  What's the difference between exec'ing perl,
or exec'ing mv?

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/