Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:15:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Danny <aries@aries.postnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: History problem

On Tuesday, 23 February 1999 at 16:37:23 -0600, Danny wrote:
> Hello.  I am a new FreeBSD user, recently switched from Linux, and I can
> say that I really like FreeBSD a helluva lot more than Linux.  However, I
> am having one problem that I can't seem to figure out..
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE.  When I hit the "up arrow" for last
> command, I get:
> $ ^[[A
>
> This is at the console, telnetted in, or rlogged in.  It's really
> frustrating and I can't figure out a way around it.

You need to use an appropriate shell.  It looks to me as if you're
using the Bourne shell, which is not the most appropriate, but it can
do command history.  Try:

 $ set -o emacs

You can put this in your .profile file.  Of course, under Linux you
probably had bash, and you can install that too, from the packages on
the first CD-ROM.  Change your shell with the chsh command.

Greg