Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 13:38:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        fmtel@micronet.fr
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache port

On Fri, 10 May 1996 fmtel@micronet.fr wrote:

> Hello,
> I have just get Apache 1.05 from apache.org.
> Must I process the Makefile in /usr/ports/net/apache
> ou can I simply follow apache installation instructions ?

What I do, since I like slightly different options than the port
defaults to, is first do a `make patch' which fetches the source,
unpacks it and applies the FreeBSD patches.  Then I go into the
work directory and make whatever other tweaks I want, such as
compiling different modules, and then go back to
/usr/ports/net/apache, `make' and `make install' to finish things
off.  It works very well.

Installing a new version over the old will *not* overwrite your
configuration files.

> Best regards,
> Jean-Marc BOTTURA - EXPERINFO
> E-Mail: fmtel@micronet.fr