Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:04:49 -0700
From:      David King <dking@ketralnis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   preserving metadata on filesystems that don't

I would like to create monthly backups of large chunks of data that
make full use of the unix file system features (that is, regular
permissions, symlinks, hardlinks, support of certain special
characters, etc). I would like to back this data up to a (remote)
filesystem that doesn't support some of these features.

My question is, how can I back up this metadata when the target
filesystem doesn't support it? It seems like it wouldn't take much
ruby/perl/younameit to create a small berkelydb or something of all
of the "original data" (like permissions and where symlinks live) and
a map from "original" filename to the target filename (in the case of
unsupported characters).

Since this is relatively simple, and I imagine that the incidence of
people wanting to back up their data to things like USB keys that
they can access from other operating systems (in this particular
instance, I am using a Xythos server <www.xythos.com> with a WebDAV
remote filesystem), I imagine that this code has already been
written, but maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms. I'd also
like to not reinvent rsync if I can avoid it.

Since the target is webdav, I guess that I could use webdav
properties to store this information (any ideas on how to automate
that?), but I have to imagine that this has already been done for
target filesystems like FAT32