Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 98 09:27:49 +0200
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        napalm@halcyon.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question about IDE devices

Hello

> Hi, i'm a PC user who has *just* made the transition
> over from windoze to FreeBSD, and i'm having some
> trouble upgrading my system.
>
> I've just installed a new motherboard for a Pentium
> 266mhz chip, and I have 3 IDE devices: a Seagate 1.2G
> hard drive, a Quantum 160mb (whoohoo) hard drive, and
> an IDE CD-rom.  The Seagate is acting as the primary
> master, the Quantum is the primary slave and the CD-Rom
> is a secondary slave.
                 ^^^^^
There was a message recently stating that each IDE channel MUST have a
master (IDE stands for Integrated Device Electronics : the intelligence
resides on the drives themselves). So try and set your CD to Master.

Further : 2.2.6-R does not work ok with all types of IDE drive
combinations.

Remember : you can also copy the installation files from the CD to a FAT
partition using WinSh.. , then install from the FAT partition (while
disabling the secondary IDE channel).

	TfH