Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:11:13 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Worth Bishop <wbishop@twosensemedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to boost maxusers in custom kernel.

Worth Bishop wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 4.3 (I know - upgrade on the way, but would like to know
> what's going on here for future ref), on AMD Athlon MP 1600 (1393.79-MHz
> 686-class CPU) with 1.5 Gb RAM. Ran up against 'too many files' problem,
> dropped packets, maxing out mbuf's, proc files, etc.
>
> Attempted to compile custom kernel based on GENERIC only by changing
> maxusers from 32 to (first) 512, then 256, then 128. No matter what,
> system rebooted with 32 maxusers, 4096 mbugs, 1024 max mbuf clusters,
> 1024 maxfiles. Can reset maxfiles via sysctl, but why won't maxusers stick?
>
> Have tried building both with:
>
> #  /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> #  cd ../../comple/MYKERNEL
> #  make depend
> #  make
> #  make install
> #  reboot
>
> and with
>
> #  cd /usr/src
> #  make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> #  make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> #  reboot
>
> No discernable error messages.
>
> What am I missing?

First, I guess, be sure that it's using the file
you're specifying.

Next, hmm, per the Handbook, have you tried "0" (to let
the system "auto-tune" itself?)

That said, after 4.5*, you can set this variable in
/boot/loader.conf ... I've no idea ATM whether or not
this behavior was "MFC'ed" back into your code stream
or not ... (surely you're not running 4.3 UNPATCHED<?!!>)
you may wish to check /boot/defaults/loader.conf for
evidence of this theory, and, if you find it, give that
a try as well.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

*This information isn't in the handbook (I don't think ...
I sent a doc PR a day or two ago on it due to a post
here by someone who was having troubles in the same
area, I guess...).