Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 95 21:25 CST
From:      krnlhkr@mcs.com
To:        Jamie Wallace <jwallace@morpheus>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installing troubles

<---- Begin Included Message ---->

> Go into the BIOS and shut off ALL power saving stuff (especially the
> drive power saving features).  UNIX doesn't like saving power ;)

Between this solution and using the updated kernel i got things to begin
to install at least past the point that I was at before.  I got into
FDISK begin definning all my partitions set them all up and then go into
DISKLABEL and it will not label them, it just keeps giving me invalid
filesystem errors.  I dont get it.  Once I got past everything and then I
was done and went to type quit to go back to the main section of the disk
setup and it locked,  once I even got past this point and into the real
setting up and it finished everything asked me to put in the cpio disk
which i did and then it rebooted,  It comes up fine until it tries to
mount root on the scsi drive and then it cannot mount root.  I started
over and tried to get my root and swap defined on my ide drive and put my
/usr on my scsi drive but this is when it began all these problems.

Sorry if my problem seems garbled ... just trying to tell you all I can
without over doing it ...

well gotta run,

thanks for your help

James

<---- End Included Message ---->

This sounds like a separate problem.  It sounds like maybe the
drive params (cyl, sec, etc) that BSD is using doesn't match
the BIOS ones.  Check this.  Also, what do you mean "partitions"?
Theoretically, all you need is one BSD partition per drive and
then you label them into different mount points.

Also, under label (and this wasn't clear to me either), the d
slice is special. a is usually root or the first non-root
partition on the drive.  b is swap.  d is the entire partition,
so don't mess with this.  e and the rest are free, and I think c
is as well.

Finally, I had a problem, but I fixed it by making a 5MB dos partition
with DOS fdisk before I installed FreeBSD.  It seemed that the BSD fdisk
picked up a clue somewhere from the partition table that DOS created.
You can try this.

Last but not least, some of the notebooks with docking bays do wierd
timing stuff and/or have non-standard IDE controllers that do goofball
translation or don't follow the spec right.  You might just be out of
luck hardware-wise. (Don't give up though, the newer notebooks are
pretty standard).

Also, I'm reposting this to questions.  Maybe someone else has a better
suggestion for you.  I've written operating systems for a while, but
I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, so my solutions are to generic U*IX problems.

Good luck.

-Louis

Louis J. Giliberto, Jr.    !  Support the Free Software Foundation
krnlhkr@mcs.com            !