Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 12:03:54 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        Gabriel Rossetti <mailing_lists@evotex.ch>, f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: edit files in single-user-mode, the output is all messed up

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:51:48PM +0200, Christian Walther wrote:

> On 11/05/07, Gabriel Rossetti <mailing_lists@evotex.ch> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have never been able to figure out how to do this, and I usually end
> >up copying the file to be edited to a floppy  et be able to edit it from
> >another machine, but there has to ba a way to do it! Everytime I go into
> >single-user-mode and I have to edit a file, the output to stdout is
> >messed up (looks like there are no \n). I tried several editors (vi, ee,
> >edit (ee I think),  and I get the same thing, useless to say that it's
> >impossible to edit the files. The only editor that works, is vim, but
> >it's not always installed. Does anyone know why this happens? And does
> >anyone know how to fix it?

The two main problems are making sure the editors are available
and making sure you have a terminal type that will work.

Do the following:
  fsck -p
  mount -u /
  mount -a
  swapon -a

To make sure files are available.

Then, for termtype, if you are using tcsh which is most common on FreeBSD do
  set term=vt100

or if in sh do as Christian Walther indicated

////jerry