Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes to BSD APIs for THREADS support

Julian Elischer writes:
> 5/ It is possible that we may need a call by which the user thread
> scheduler can 'cancel' the syscall that a particular kernel thread
> is currently operating on. (particularly if it is waiting).

I think this is going to be required. The UTS needs to have the
ability to cancel a thread at any time. If the thread is in userland
then it can just do it; otherwise it needs a way to wake up the
thread in the kernel. The thread's syscall should then return
immediately with EINTR or somesuch; alternately, the thread can
just never return. Mabye both options would be good to have.

-Archie