Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 2010 23:59:55 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Rumen Telbizov <telbizov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
Subject:   Re: Degraded zpool cannot detach old/bad drive
References:  <AANLkTi=EWfVyZjKEYe=c0x6QvsdUcHGo2-iqGr4OaVG7@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinjfpnHGMvzJ5Ly8_WFXGvQmQ4D0-_TgbVBi=cf@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=h6ZJtbRHeUOpKX17uOD5_XyYmu01ZTTCCKw=_@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikPqgoxuYp7D88Dp0t5LvjXQeO3mCXdFw6onEZN@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTimMM82=rqMQQfZZYTcaM_CU%2B01xPeZUGAik8H3v@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinKpMLeJOd_V7uxyAFqcStoGwV9PfTJDLDPq3By@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTiktrL7LHkh3HLGqZeZx7ve6arBrs8ZE57NwtfN1@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinc1yQrwVsf%2Bk9LW5J50twbtcQ-d1SV_rny06Su@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTimD_f1pZHy7cq4jA%2BSZwdQRmotndSiukpNvwi6Y@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikJp=1An8G%2BzTBbXBPyq8--Kq=dNN=_A3TkmsjE@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikg6SM7jHwEYXFAUT%2BD=ScFXjtR-Sa6fZe0Vbv=@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinj_Ty%2B7cfof34YHyA7K_O21bmhOqr-UKuZu5fZ@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTim1pF3Cik5mMUJVtUqqSHFuWhTPGp%2BK3G6vUrZ-@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=zq-JdZVnZ6dfySfV3whhQABMf6OmEgC61mNKj@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTimrxrTmtRGkw0jTWME3zgE%2BF07OoFqWv4Khty-U@mail.gmail.com>

On 10/31/2010 15:53, Rumen Telbizov wrote:
> Hi Artem, everyone,
>
> Here's the latest update on my case.
> I did upgrade the system to the latest stable: 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
> #0: Sun Oct 31 11:44:06 PDT 2010
> After that I did zpool upgrade and zfs upgrade -r all the filesystems.
> Currently I am running zpool 15 and zfs 4.
> Everything went fine with the upgrade but unfortunately my problem still
> persists. There's no difference in this aspect.
> I still have mfid devices. I also tried chmod-ing as you suggested /dev/mfid
> devices but zfs/zpool didn't seem to care and imported
> the array regardless.
>
> So at this point since no one else seems to have any ideas and we seem to be
> stuck I am almost ready to declare defeat on this one.
> Although the pool is usable I couldn't bring it back to exactly the same
> state as it was before the disk replacements took place.
> Disappointing indeed, although not a complete show stopper.
>
> I still think that if there's a way to edit the cache file and change the
> devices that might do the trick.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> Rumen Telbizov
>

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Rumen Telbizov <telbizov@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Sun Sep  5 00:22:45 PDT 2010
>>> That's when I csuped and rebuilt world/kernel.
>>
>> There were a lot of ZFS-related MFCs since then. I'd suggest updating
>> to the most recent -stable and try again.
>>
>> I've got another idea that may or may not work. Assuming that GPT
>> labels disappear because zpool opens one of the /dev/mfid* devices,
>> you can try to do "chmod a-rw /dev/mfid*" on them and then try
>> importing the pool again.
>>
>> --Artem

The problem seems to be that its just finding the actual disk before it
finds the GPT labels. You should be able to export the pool and then
re-import the pool after hiding the disks that it is finding via
/etc/devfs.rules file.

Try adding something like (WARNING: This will hide all devices mfi)
adjust accordingly:
add path 'mfi*' hide

To your devfs ruleset before re-importing the pool and that should make
ZFS go wondering around /dev enough to find the appropriate GPT label
for the disk it is trying to locate.

It would seem to me that using '-d' in this case would not be effective
as ZFS would be looking for 'gpt/LABEL' within /dev/gpt/ if memory
serves correctly, and obviously path /dev/gpt/gpt/ would not exist. Also
even if it did find the correct gpt label then it would be assuming its
at a /dev path and not /dev/gpt/* and would fall back to finding the mfi
devices after the next boot again.

--

 jhell,v